Thompson Chicago, the luxury lifestyle hotel in Chicago’s Gold Coast, announces registration is now open for the hotel’s third annual City Summer Camp program. Available from May through September, the boutique property is offering guests a curated list of unique activities and personalized experiences to soak in an extended summer in Chicago.
Thompson’s dedicated “Camp Counselors” worked with some of the city’s most popular destinations, drool-worthy food and beverage outposts, and local creative studios to design ten distinct itineraries to open up the best of summer in Chicago to guests.
“We’re taking City Summer Camp to another level this year,” states Steve Shern, general manager of Thompson Chicago. “By partnering with some of our favorite neighborhood businesses, we’ve been able to custom-design an outstanding list of experiences offered exclusively to Thompson guests.”
In addition to enhancing past City Summer Camp favorites, the Thompson will launch five brand-new camp classes. Among the highlights, the Camp Counselors worked with nearby lululemon, a global technical athletic apparel company, to design complimentary personalized running tours led by Thompson’s lululemon Gold Coast team members. The full list of first-time camp classes includes:
- See + Sweat: Personalized Running Tours with lululemon & Thompson Chicago – Partnering with lululemon Gold Coast, Thompson guests can book personalized, guided running tours to see Chicago’s best sights, while getting in their daily sweat sesh. Runs are led by the local lululemon Gold Coast team and can be customized to a guest’s desired length and route, with a choice of four different routes to explore the city. Along the way, these experienced local runners will share tips on must-visit Chicago spots, places to eat, or simply sticking to the topic at hand: how to make the most of your run. Guests can wrap up their run at Thompson’s healthy Gold Coast neighbor, Kitchfix, for a 10% discount and the ‘See + Sweat Post-Run Smoothie’. On Sundays, runners also have the option to stretch it out post-run at the lululemon 900 North Michigan store’s complimentary yoga class at 10a.m.
- Secrets & History of the Gold Coast: Thompson-Curated Walking Tours – Designed exclusively for Thompson Chicago, guests will join Max Grinnell, author & Chicago expert, on a private 90-minute tour introducing the architecture, history, & culture of the hotels neighborhood. Max‘s stories about the Gold Coast will detail how it has been home to many distinguished Chicago residents and come to attract a diverse set of architectural styles. Stops will be made to talk about the Art Deco, Art Moderne, and other artistic details that are hard to find without looking through the eyes of a local expert.
- You, Too, Can Have a Green Thumb – Terrariums, air plants, succulents…the horticulture aesthetic is popping up everywhere. This summer, Thompson Chicago will take guests to one of Chicago’s trendiest home décor and garden boutiques, Sprout Home, for a hands-on private terrarium building class. Guests will be escorted in a Thompson Lexus to Sprout’s West Town store where they can partake in the intimate 1-hour class.
- Summer Cocktail Course at Salone Nico – Nico Osteria’s bar manager, Scott Stroemer, will lead an intimate cocktail class and tasting in the restaurant’s beautiful reserve bar area. The interactive class will feature a demonstration and tasting of three classic cocktails; the Negroni, Daiquiri and Venetian Spritz. In addition to building and tasting cocktails, guests will learn the rich history of each drink. Whether travelers are cocktail aficionados or budding home bartenders, this class showcases the basic techniques to create perfectly balanced cocktails. Light bites and a welcome cocktail will be provided.
- Chicago Beach Volleyball: Thompson Style – Chicagoans take summer very seriously, and that means getting out to the sand early to reserve territory and a volleyball court. This summer, guests can let Thompson Chicago will handle the beach set-up. Typically unavailable to beachgoers, Thompson has partnered with Oak Street Beach to reserve volleyball courts for guests upon request and will equip them with beach volleyball, net, and if desired, a custom picnic. Guests can also book a private lesson with a local volleyball coach/expert.
Returning with new Thompson off-the-menu items, special discounts, and a hands-on gelato-making course at Nico Osteria, additional City Summer Camp activities are:
- Green City Farmer’s Market Trip & Gelato Making Class – Nico Osteria’s pastry chef, Leigh Omilinsky, will guide guests through Lincoln Park’s Green City Farmer’s Market to meet local farmers and shop for the day’s freshest ingredients. Following the market, guests can follow Chef Leigh into the pastry kitchen to taste a variety of Nico Osteria’s inventive gelato and sorbetto flavors. Using the day’s market purchases, guests will then make their own batch of fresh gelato, with the original flavors packed in to-go pints to take home.
- Behind the Scenes Tours of Chicago’s Only Distillery, CH Distillery – CH Distillery, Chicago’s only award-winning working distillery, restaurant and bar, will teach guests about the world of liquor distilling. Following a tour the facility, guests will receive a tasting of the Chicago-favorite CH Vodka and an exclusive sample of CH Cherry Liqueur, the brand’s latest collaboration with Thompson Chicago and Nico Osteria’s pastry chef, Chef Leigh Omilinsky. Bites and cocktails utilizing the spirits learned about at the CH bar can be enjoyed in the industrial-chic distillery before heading out to explore the West Loop.
- Ice Cream Crawls Driven by Lexus – A favorite from past years, guests can sample Chicago’s best creamy confections on an exclusive Ice Cream Crawl designed by the Camp Counselors. Thompson’s neighbor, Amorino Gelato will offer a secret “Thompson Amorino Rose” flavor to guests on their first stop in the neighborhood. Using the special maps created by the Thompson team, guests will continue on to sample some of the best independent ice cream shops in Chicago to get their scoops in style in a Lexus from the hotel’s fleet.
- Adults Arts & Crafts with Bottle & Bottega – Guests can uncork their inner artist with a relaxing painting session at Bottle & Bottega. No prior art experience is necessary for the BYOB, instructor-led “art parties,” where guests can paint take-home canvases, glassware, wood pallets, and more utilizing a special 10% discount for Thompson guests. For an added dash of fun, Bottle & Bottega encourages guests to grab a basket of light bites for two provided by Nico Osteria, and bottles of red and white wine to fuel their artistic adventure.
- “G&T in the City” – A preferred summer afternoon activity by many, Thompson has arranged for guests to take private tennis or golf lessons to brush up on their swing while in town. The tennis lessons at Tennis on the Lake or golf instruction at Diversey Driving Range are best followed by another form of G&T: sipping on craft Gin & Tonic cocktails at Nico Salone.
To offer a sneak peek at what the hotel has lined up, the Thompson Chicago team has been visiting their local partners to test out the new activities. The staff’s adventures will be shared on Thompson Chicago’s Facebook through the City Summer Camp Video Series.
The City Summer Camp program is available to all hotel guests through September 30, 2017. Pricing for City Summer Camp offerings vary by activity.
Please visit https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel=59794&Chain=15564&promo=CAMP or call 312.266.2100 to make reservations and receive a special 15% discounted rate with booking code “CAMP”. Upon booking, guests will receive a copy of the City Summer Camp brochure to begin planning their summer with Thompson Chicago.